Saturday, August 23, 2008

My new bike

I just got back into riding after a 25 year hiatus. After discussing and discussing with friends, family, neighbors, etc., I came to the conclusion the the BMW F650 is the machine that I wanted. My friend Mike told me about this model and after considerable research and a lot of phone calls and emails ending with "sorry the bike's sold", I finally found one! It is a 2007 F650 GS with ABS (so does that make it a GSA?) and heated hand grips (they are really nice when it's chilly). I was initially concerned that my back trouble would prevent me from enjoying my new toy, but I have discovered the the bike puts me in the correct posture and my back has never felt better! The bike gets great mileage, about 68 miles to the gallon. I've only had it a few months and I'm still getting used to it; but I'm having a great time learning. I rode a lot of miles in the dirt with various motorcycles, but the is the first road bike I've had (with the exception of my first motorcycle, a Honda CL -175, a two cylinder road bike I brought home in boxes and converted into a dirt bike).
I have several reasons for choosing this particular model. First, my style of riding is on/off road, some highway but mostly low traffic back roads. This bike is great for that. Second, I wanted something that will get me the longest distance for the least amount of fuel. The F650 has the reputation of getting between 60 and 70 mpg. My bike, after almost 4300 miles, it averages 68.06 mpg.
To sum it all up, I got a machine that is great on gas, fits my riding style and is good for my back (great extra perk!) and it was just in my budget.
I will make an attempt to make this a true web log. This will serve to document my experiences with my F650. Stay tuned here for more of my adventures with my new toy!

No comments: